Tuesday 4 October 2011

Reckless endangerment of free time

I stumbled across something fantastic during the week - Miniature Mentors. This company has made a huge set of videos with some of the best painters in the world to showcase their individual painting techniques on their most famous models.

Just watching the first few alone made a huge difference to my painting - things like seeing someone use a 6:1 water the paint dilution and having amazing results giving me the patience to do it myself, throwing colours in I'd never think to use, combining things you'd never think of. These films are jampacked with these you could find out yourself - but it would take hundreds of hours and models of trial and error.

They also have tutorials on basic to advanced sculpting, traditional weathering techniques, and so on. You get precise mixes that people use, get to see their exact placements, listen to them explain not only what they are doing and how but also the thought process behind it.

The site lets you buy them individually for roughly £10 each, or buy a month subscription for about £30 and download everything. There is well over 60 hours of video and they are all superb. I really recommend these;

http://www.miniaturementor.com/

I'm too tired to post anything else but I'll have some nifty pictures of my new superorks tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment