I had tried to find pictures of battle worns tanks and damaged tanks on the net but I found that either tanks become completely destroyed - ripped apart, blown in half, torn open like a monkey too aggresively opening a banana - or looked fairly ok. Tanks either got a few bullet holes, maybe scrapped by a few bigger things, or they take a full hit and just die.
I just used a scalpel and a set of diamond files.
|My tools. Fizzy orange is very important.|
|I do all my painting in mood lighting.|
I didn't take any pictures that I can find of this process. I actually grabbed one of my metal sculpting tools and started scrapping at the centre of the spot where I wanted the damage to be. In the Imperial Armour book they used a burr on a hand tool to start wearing away parts of their tanks. After a while I started to wear away at the area around the centre. Then as you can see I added two larger streaks going across it diagonally to give a sense of directionally to whatever hit the tank.
Then I accidentally shoved my file through the plastic! On the side of a new tank you can feel it start to thin and go but on this one I just went straight through. I just drilled it out a bit more to make it look like it was intentional! I made sure not to keep the hole neat and instead uneven and slightly jagged.
On the other tank a got a bit more ambitious after seeing a picture of a tank that had had its roof and side blown apart by a partial hit. I started by hacking a hole in it to remove the roof that has been blown apart.
I didn't do it straight on to make it look like the tank was being attacked from an angle rather than straight on. Then it came to sculpting the bit that had been blown up. You could have the piece of roof on either side I guess. I just rolled out a tiny sausage of green stuff, laid it on the edge and started to smooth it into the roof.
Then I took another slightly thicker sausage and placed it on the edge again. I worked it into the lower piece of green stuff so it didn't fall off and then I put my sculpting spatula (nice and flat) on the side of the hole to the greenstuff, and took my clay sculpter and started to push the greenstuff upwards against the spatula.
I made the edge that had been attached all rough. Actually I stuck my thumb in it a few times and squished everything into a glob while I was doing stuff to the rest of the model.
The other thing I did to this tank was to give it a series of shallow bullet holes across one of the side doors.
I felt like I should have really done more but looking at all those photos I could only find working tanks that had a few marks on them, physically. When I have finished the main paint job I can start weathering it.
I had a strange dream that I had found a limited edition pigment pot at a random shop and it was really cheap. It was an extra large pot too! But when I left the store the pot turned out to be the size of a thimble and I was very annoyed.
Still kindof am.