Wednesday 10 August 2011

You're an ork Harry!

Managed to do some more orky skin and red tops today. Tried out some shading with washes too, seeing which colours had what kindof effect on green. I can't remember what stage I left them at yesterday, and I'm too lazy to check.

This is roughly the stage I left them all at


With my space orks looking more shiney, as you'll see in this step as I applied a liberal amount of watered orange paint . I carried on by applying a broad highlight of snot green (1:3 Paint:10%F). I was careful to leave a very fine band of the dark green and let most of the colour build up on the bulging parts of the muscles. I can't get my photos off of the camera for this stage at the moment - annoyingly.

Next step I highlighted the uppermost and bulgiest parts with 1:1:2 Snot green : Scorpion Green : 10%F. I found this to be a bit vivid for my liking so I decided to give everything a wash to hopefully bring down the colour and unify it where I'd been a bit rushed dolloping paint on.






And some useless pictures after washing;




Thraka Green Wash

Asurmen Blue - I really liked this combo

Asurmen Blue, Thraka Green, and Bhaal Red

Thraka green or asurmen blue - I didn't write it down :S

I really like the blend of asurmen blue over the greens of the skin. It helps blend the colours together very well, and adds greater depth to the shadows than just a darker green. With a thraka green selectively on top I think I have a keeper for doing skins.

Then I did a final highlight of 1:1:1 goblin green : scorpion green : sunburst yellow with an equal amount of 10%F in there. I dotted it on the most raised and highest areas of the muscles. Then I finished with a light shading of the lowermost parts with very delicately dotted asuremen blue.


I am very happy with the result







On top of all this I tried shading a couple of the orks pants with snakebit leather and then scorched brown but it just looked awful. In the pots I thought the snakebite would work nicely with the iyanden sun but it went on much more orangey than I expected and I couldnt salvage it at all with the scorched brown. So I got angry and washed it loads with devlan mud >: |

I have lost one of my orks, on which I tried out my new iridescent medium. The update was very close to being called Dude, Where's My Ork?



No comments:

Post a Comment